REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
DEPARTMENT: Product Management
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
WORK SCHEDULE: M-F, may need to flex times due to business needs
LOCATION: This position can be in either Boise or Hartford, preferably Boise
Covr Technologies is a leading, InsurTech venture capital-backed company, focused on using technology to simplify the buying process for life insurance and related products. As an innovator in a rapidly evolving industry, Covr is a technology-driven company that provides a simpler way for people to protect what matters most. Through partnerships with financial institutions and advisors, Covr's innovative digital platform provides the capability to research, compare and buy life insurance from top providers, fully online and within minutes. Covr’s main operations is in downtown Boise, ID and our corporate operations are in Hartford, CT. Our employees enjoy a casual dress code, flexible hours and progressive work environment. We have a strong culture based on our core values: Client Focus, Innovation, Collaboration, Fun!
The Chief Product Officer (CPO) will be responsible for the entire Product Management department/function from conceptualization to pricing to implementation and for post-launch performance for Covr Financial Technologies (Covr). The CPO will be directly responsible for the building of the current and future product offering and related service that maintains a sustainable value in terms of revenue and profits for the enterprise. The CPO is the manager of the day-to-day execution of all product activities for the purpose of meeting the product and business’s goals. The position is a senior leader at Covr and the individual will be part of the executive committee and participate in board and investor meetings. The position is also externally facing and expected to be visible in the growing InsurTech industry. The ideal candidate will “know the insurance market”, with a deep understanding of advanced and technology-driven insurance delivery methods to effectively spearhead the product’s strategy formation as well as execution.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for identifying opportunities that lead to the growth of the product through innovation while still maintaining the fundamental business goals/priorities.
- Builds out a best-in-class team and outside resources to achieve desired results.
- Responsible for spearheading investigation and analyses on the product and the product market.
- Oversees the execution of marketing initiatives following the launch of new partnerships.
- Collaborates internally with company leadership and areas of product, marketing, sales, operations, and customer service to meet partner and company objectives.
- Develops deep AI and analytical tools that analyze results and benchmark product performance and present results to demonstrate the impact of initiatives.
- Leads the transformation of product ideas from their most formidable stages into actionable concepts, timelines, and projects while maintaining a serious consideration of the financial implications, marketing needs, and the overall objectives of the business.
- Creates and manages a process that drives towards a scalable product portfolio that will in turn drive the business’s product profitability.
- Ensures that there is a continuous improvement in the product as well as the product’s compliance to market need and competitive offerings.
- Takes the lead in evaluating market trends, product industry and competition strategies from which he/she can make decisions on product functionality and pricing and positioning to key constituents.
Required Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree required. An advanced degree a significant plus.
- 10+ years of experience in insurance and/or financial services industry.
- Preferably as a Head of Product Management in a complex business setting, a suitable candidate will also have diverse experience in the fields of product marketing, management, and communications.
- Experience in commercializing insurance platform products with various stakeholders – financial institutions, carriers, consumers, etc with a preferred experience in life insurance.
- Experience building and leading a product team, with proven success in developing and implementing product changes and initiatives.
- Experience in leading or participating in the development of new technology platforms through the use of agile methods and being able to speak effectively to technical developers.
- Experience with large data sets and distributed computing (Cassandra/Hive/Hadoop) is considered to be a plus.
- Background in understanding the pricing in a B2B and B2B2C environment for both revenue share and SaaS fee models.
- Understanding of financial advisor, bank channel, RIA, independent agent and digital/robo-platform models. B2B2C marketing within these distribution channels is highly valued.
- Venture capital experience is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of, or experience in, predictive analytics with particular exposure to the assessment of model validity and, ideally, some experience in building and deploying models.
- Understanding of the insurance value chain and ‘full stack’ environment – carrier, intermediary, platform providers, advisors and customers; with a particular focus on the intermediary (BGA and platform provider) roles.
- Understanding of the emerging digital processes and other emerging technologies that will drive a better customer experience for the evaluation and purchase of life insurance and other insurance products.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced and demanding environment, with a strong ability to manage numerous competing priorities.
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance.
- Ability to adapt to a flexible work environment and willing to work on a 'hands-on' basis, getting in the trenches with the team at every level.
- Proven ability to build business plans, manage budget and report to senior management and investors
- Proven ability to lead and manage people in a high paced and collaborative culture
- Strong critical thinking and organizational skills
- Strong knowledge of “new-tech” methods of customer interaction in B2B2C and B2C environments with financial institution and consumer direct channels
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment with professional and technical fortitude
- Strong work ethic and high level of personal integrity and accountability
Competitive benefits package. Medical, dental, vision, disability, paid time off, paid holiday’s, 401(k) company match, and life insurance plan with supplemental options available.